Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ranch Herb Garden - Tarragon

My husband likes to refer to tarragon as the "spice of life" since we are so fond of it.  We had it in our stone step garden in Northern Virginia, where it continued to come back each spring, regardless of winter conditions.  Tarragon is a great herb for snipping whenever the mood strikes. 



According to the Garden-Helper page on tarragon, the botanical species name of tarragon is a French derivation of the Latin word for dragon.  This seems highly serendipitous to me, since I was a French major who also studied Latin, and our whole family loves dragons.

Tarragon can be grown in either containers or in-ground.  We plan on in-ground, in the raised bed, and expect it to reach about 3 feet in height. It should not be over-watered (that will be easy!), and may need to be cut back in fall if you're in a colder climate.

Another source of information on tarragon can is The Perfect Pantry's blog entry on tarragon.  This blog contains over 250 favorite pantry ingredients, with recipes for each.  If you haven't checked it out previously, I'd highly recommend it.

Here is one of my favorite recipes using tarragon, and therefore my primary motivation for having tarragon in my garden.  This recipe is from my well-loved copy of Greene on Greens, and I've made it so often it is more of a technique rather than an exact recipe.


New Potatoes Sliced in Tarragon Cream

Ingredients:
2 tbs. unsalted butter
1 large shallot, minced
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon (I usually use more), or 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon
1/2 lb. new potatoes, red or white (I usually use Yukon Gold), sliced 1/8" thick
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Dash of freshly ground nutmeg (optional - my addition)

Preparation:
  1. Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes.  Add the tarragon and potatoes.  Toss to coat the potatoes with the butter.
  2. Pour the cream over the potatoes.  Heat to boiling; reduce the heat.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, 18 to 20 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add a dash of nutmeg if desired. 
Serves 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment